Additional Information

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I HATE the USPS!!

For those of you who don't know, I hate the US Postal Service. I have really tried not to jump onto my soapbox too much or too often but they have really ticked me off.

My story of hating the Postal Service starts backs a few years ago. We had just moved from our first apartment into Grandma Lue's basement. I turned in 2 forward mail requests and spoke with 3 different managers but to no avail, the mail carrier wouldn't quit delivering our mail to the apartment address. Their excuse was our route didn't have a regular mail carrier, meaning they were too stupid to pay attention and do their job correctly whether it was their route or not.

Shortly after that, I drove to the Holladay Post Office on Arbor Lane to mail our taxes with the money we owed to the IRS and state government. (P.S. I will never ever use that post office again.) Because these were such important documents, I paid extra for delivery confirmation and signature request. It cost about $14 to send both envelopes. A few days later I checked on the delivery confirmation and it said both letters were still at the Arbor Lane post office. Both were supposed to have been delivered by this time. So I called to find out what happened. I was told that the system only updates when the carrier enters in the information so she had no control but that the letters weren't there. She assured me they were most likely still in route and in another day or two I should be able to check again and request the signatures for the delivery.  Again a few days later I checked the tracking and nothing had changed. I sent in the signature request and received a response of no signatures on file. When I called again, I was told that there wasn't anything they could do but if I wanted to make sure the letters arrived to call the IRS and state tax commission to verify. They wouldn't even give me a refund for the services I paid for and didn't receive. After spending close to 1 1/2 hours on the phone, I learned my taxes did make it in.

Then we moved to Sandy and again, they couldn't manage to forward our mail.

Our first rent check mailed from our house through the postal service never made it to our landlord. Luckily banks have procedures in place to return funds in certain instances. It did take 90 days before the rent money was returned.

This last time, they lost my birthday present. So I spent time calling the Holladay post office (where the package was sent from), the Denver post office (where the box was received without contents and delivered to our place) and some place called Loose in the Mail (a processing place that the post office uses). Denver  couldn't do anything but direct me to Loose in the Mail because they received the package without the contents. I have left 2 messages with Loose in the Mail but haven't received a phone call back. When I called Holladay, they filled out a search request for lost contents. The lady I spoke with said that 9 times out of 10 the stuff is found and returned but it takes time. She said that she follows up once a week on each request. I called back today to follow up because I hadn't heard anything yet. A different lady answered the phone but told me that they send the search requests to a central location and that I would have to call there to speak with a customer claims inquiry department. I called there and the lady who answered the phone said there was no way to follow up because once the paperwork was mailed off they didn't hear anything back.  A search will be conducted for 90 days and if something is found in that time, it will just be mailed out to me. No phone calls, no nothing.

I find it a little ridiculous that I had to call all these places. That one person couldn't just explain everything the first time I called. Not only that but if your job is to deliver, why are you losing the stuff your supposed to deliver? If it wasn't you, why aren't you holding the company your work with accountable? GGGRRRR!!!! Best business practices people.

That's my story. In the near future I may just completely boycott the post office; stop as much junk mail as I can, not every send anything (currently I only mail birthday cards), and anything else I can come up with to boycott.

1 comment:

rozanny said...

Yeah... for my job I mail things all over... the us and Europe... I sent two packages full of about 200 customized books to... surprise... Denver. And they delivered BOTH boxes without any books in them... same thing... gave me the run around at the Loose in Mail place and did they ever find them? No... how do you lose 200 books and never find them? They have the company logo on them as well as the school name stamped across the front.