Additional Information

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy 30 years to me!

Yes, a few days ago it was my 30th birthday.  I know many people don't talk about their age but I have looked relatively the same since I was a junior in high school and I don't feel that much older. I remember thinking at one point in my life that 30 was like going over the hill. Now it doesn't seem like that much of a big deal.

The day before we walked around an outlet mall, which I was not impressed with at all but ended up buying some kitchen stuff for my birthday. I am now the proud owner of a pancake puff pan (for making ebelskivers) and a cast iron flat pan (for making roll up pancakes, aka crepes). I know, I'm weird. That night we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. It was delicious. I love a great tasting steak. Although I am starting to realize what a rip off kids meals are.

Sunday, Jake took care of dinner. He made biscuits (from a can) with homemade gravy, homemade hash browns, and I assisted with crepes. After he made some wonderful red velvet cupcakes to enjoy with cream cheese frosting.  It was so nice to not have to work on every part of the meal. Funny how sometimes simple is better. Thanks babe for making turning 30 not a huge deal and for making it a great day.

On Monday my sister Annie asked if I has picked up my mail and then commented that the post office had told her the gift should have arrived on Monday. So on Tuesday I walk outside to grab our mail, and there is a cute box by the door. I was impressed that the USPS hadn't been too far off on the delivery time frame. (In case you don't know, I have an enormous amount of disdain for the USPS. If there were any other way to send regular mail at the same price, I would use that.) I pick it up so that I can open it and see what's inside. The package seems abnormally light and was wondering if my sister would really spend the money on sending a gift card in such a package.  As I am looking at it, I notice a smudged stamp on the front. I lean in for a closer look and read "Received without contents". 


My poor birthday present
Are you serious? The box was empty. Just to make sure this wasn't some bad joke and unjustly beast out the USPS (because the past 3 times have been justified), I called my sister. She told me there were things in there. My gifts from both her and another sister. After finding out what was in the box, I spent the next 30 minutes calling the Denver post office that delivers our mail, the processing plant they receive mail from, and the Holladay post office where the package was shipped from. They have started a search request but it could take weeks, as they only follow up on stuff once a week, before I receive the stuff (assuming I'm not the 1 in 10 whose stuff isn't found). 

I guess my birthday had been going so well that something had to balance life out. Here's to hoping the USPS can do something right and return my 30th birthday present.

No comments: