Additional Information

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentines Day

I have never been big into Valentines Day. Of course I love it when someone does something nice for you but I kinds hate that there is a day that it is expected. Our Valentines was very low key (probably because I am a huge slacker). We went out to eat at Outback Steakhouse. Jake did buy me 2 Valentines day cards which were very sweet and he wrote some very nice things in them. (I love you babe.)  I do hope that as Ellie grows older I will be able to make Valentines special like my mom did for me.

Ellie did receive a card from Grandma Wendy and Poppy DeVon with a gift card to her favorite restaurant, Chik-a-fila. She loved the card because of the cute bug on the front but I know she will really love the gift card when we use it to buy chicky nuggets.

I was thinking about Valentines Day a bit this year, especially with that commercial that talked about Valentines Day and love. I don't remember the company so probably not the most effective commercial but I remember that it says Valentines Day isn't just for saying "I love you." It is about saying "I love us."  I really like that because you can love a person but not love who you are when your with them or who you are together and you can love being with a person but not love them. Love is about caring for another person as a person only and who they encourage you to be.

Also Valentines Day should be about ALL people you love, not just significant others. It has turned so much into a "couples" holiday which tends to leave out those without someone or who have lost someone. My goal is to keep Valentines Day about saying I love you and I love us to all those people I care about, not just Jake. If your single, I suggest you celebrate the loves you have and not the loves lost.

No comments: