Anyway, with this deep freeze Jake and I realized how poorly insulated our windows are. We placed duct tape around the edges of the windows to keep drafts from coming through at the beginning of winter but I guess that doesn't have any effect if the quality of window is terrible. Tuesday when we woke up, the news was saying the actual temperature was -12 degrees but with the wind chill it felt -33.
![]() |
| This is a south facing window on our stairs landing. |
![]() |
| This is the west facing window in our bedroom. Note the ice on the duct tape. |
![]() |
| This is a bigger shot of the same bedroom window. |
Every window and sliding glass door in the house looked like this. What temp was the inside of the house? Well that's a little hard to determine. The furnace thermostat is one of the old ones. During the day we set the mark to 72 and at night drop it to 68. The problem is there is a cheap plastic thermometer about 6 inches away from the furnace thermostat. It says the house is around 74 during the day and 70 at night. Ellie's baby monitor has an electronic temp gauge that would say 66 during the day and 60 at night. In reality, who knows but if you ask me, I would bet on the baby monitor because I feel like the house is always cold.
Side note; half the city of Denver was shut down on Tuesday. Jake's Monday night class and Tuesday classes were cancelled by 4:00 on Monday. I actually don't think there was a school open on Tuesday. I think I'm ready for summer after being 70 on Friday to negatives by Monday.



No comments:
Post a Comment