I thought it was about time for some random thoughts I have had lately. This first one came about because several of the shows I watch had weddings in them. The part that I found interesting was that in all 3 of the shows, one or both people in the relationship (whether talking before the marriage or during their vows) mentioned wanting to be with the other person forever.
It was then I realized that staying with someone forever is a fairy tale idea, one that a lot of people want but one more and more people aren't willing to work at. Then next thing I thought was how sad it was these people talked about wanting to be together forever but as part of marriage ceremonies, the officiator says the words "til death do you part." Once one of them dies, they will no longer be together.
It made me extremely grateful that I was married in a Temple of the Lord and sealed by Priesthood authority for time and all eternity, giving Jake and I the opportunity to be together forever if we strive to live the commandments. It also made me realize that this takes a lot of work by both parties involved because marriage is about bring 2 lives together, not giving one life for the other.
It also made me think why when people start relationships they can't/don't want to be apart and love the idea of forever but then as struggles and challenges come up they don't work to stay together. Many people now just give up and get divorced. I have found that challenges are easier when worked on in groups, even personal challenges seem lighter when the spouse is actively involved. There are plenty of days I think that being married for 5 years has been way too long, but there are other times when forever won't be long enough. I just need to do my part to make sure that when I feel like 5 years is too long, I act and treat Jake like forever isn't long enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment