Additional Information

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Trip to Utah (Memory Grove)

So in our last day visiting Utah, we decided to have a picnic lunch downtown at Memory Grove. Actually, I'm not sure that was the original plan but it ended up that way.

I had to drop off Marc's car downtown and my dad needed to drive a vehicle so he could eat lunch and leave (he was driving with Calee and Devin to go pick up Calee's car in Grand Junction), so Annie ended up with all the kids in her car while I drove another and my parents in another. Annie drove straight to Memory Grove (which was probably the best for the kids), while my parents and I dropped off Marc's car and picked up lunch. (By the way, a big thanks to Marc and Cassie for letting us use a car while we were in town.)

Brian was able to meet us for lunch. After lunch, my dad took off and the rest of us walked around for a bit. If you don't know Memory Grove is a park dedicated to war memorials. It is really a beautiful place.

Ellie was in this pic at one point.
Brian walked with us a bit but then had to head back to work. We stopped and toured the Meditation Chapel; although tour might not be the right word because it is a simple one room building that is only about the size of an average bedroom but there were people inside to talk about it. I wasn't able to pay much attention as Ellie was trying to jump a small wall to touch the wall with the mural on it. Not to mention, she had a messy diaper that had leaked out. Luckily I knew there was water and a stream at the park so I packed extra clothes for her.
Grandma Wendy and her grand kids.
I thought this was the cutest picture and hoped they turned out better but Macy is a true Gledhill and was pulling a face in every one. At least Ellie and Braden are looking at the camera.

We walked up the road a bit and the turned around.
Again Macy with the faces.
There are small side paths that take you up the hills around the park.
The Meditation Chapel


At the top of the paths, you come out next to Utah's State Capitol Building. Had it not looked like rain and the kids not acting so tired, we might have crossed the street and taken the tour.

Utah State Capitol
We walked back down the path and loaded into Annie's car. I knew that Ellie really liked to talk with people if someone was sitting next to her but this was seriously funny. I don't know how Annie survived the trip down. Also, I now know why no one ever wants to sit next to Braden. (He kept pinching me.)


We got home for a nap and to finish packing. Then my mom drove us to the airport. She helped me to the gate (she managed to get an escort pass). As we arrived to our gate at the far end of the terminal, we found out that our plane was behind schedule. They didn't think the plane would arrive until 8 ish and we were scheduled to take off at 8:10 ish. So Ellie ran around (trying to stay awake) watching other planes take off and land.
Silly girl at the airport.
We had our jackets as a storm had rolled in and the temp dropped quite a bit. Our plane landed and we noticed it was only one of those small prop jobs; around 70-80 seats. Luckily it wasn't a full flight so Ellie sat next to me in her own seat for most the flight, minus take off and landing. Coming into Denver was a new experience as they were having their own storm. They started cabin clean up early because of turbulence and I actually watched lightning flashing all around us as we came over the mountain range. It was a little scary. Ellie didn't notice. She was too into the Mickey Mouse show on the ipod.

We were dropped off on the tarmac, walked down the stairs, into the terminal were Ellie decided she wanted to walk. Luckily Jake was a little behind schedule (no biggie here because I was way late in picking him up in Utah as his flight arrived 20 minutes early). The timing worked out great. Ellie and I walked down the terminal, rode the train, picked up our luggage, changed Ellie into pj's, and met Jake at the curb. He had only been there about 1 minute.

It was a good trip but a little short. Thanks to all our family. It was good seeing family and friends, although we did miss seeing quite a few people. Hopefully next time when we are out for a longer visit.

No comments: