Additional Information

Monday, January 3, 2011

Making Candy

There is a great Watterson Tradition that includes Connie spending hours and days making candy in abundance for friends and family during the holidays. This year I went and made some with Connie and Kristine.

We made these marshmallow carmel rice crispy balls.
And some pretzels dipped in carmel and chocolate. I made milk, dark, and white chocolate pretzels.
Ellie and Becca were huge helps as I am sure you can imagine. Mostly they annoyed Brody and his friend and the guinea pig Bugsy. They like to put their fingers through the cage bars and hit the cage.  Luckily Bugsy is a good guinea pig and hasn't bitten them yet.

When we needed breaks from making treats, we played Just Dance 2. I am saving those pictures for future blackmail. ;)

Connie actually makes way more candy than that but we didn't have that much time and the ones we made are the one I enjoy the most. She makes pecan logs, chocolate cherries, chocolate coconut, chocolate covered pretzels, fudge, carmel, and I am sure I am forgetting some things. She is amazing. Her boys always sneak into the back room to steal some.

Then later with my family we made gingerbread houses (actually they were graham crackers).
Again, Ellie and Braden helped mostly by eating candy and graham crackers. Then if no one was watching trying to feed the snacks to the dogs.
We just used graham crackers and a basic frosting recipe. Annie brought over left over Halloween candy to put on the houses. I really don't think we had any traditional Christmas decorating candy.
Kelsey's almost finished house. I love the spider on the roof. She is so creative.
Macy's almost finished house. She is really big into patterns as you can see by the roof. It was a fun simple night. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I recently came across your blog and would like to talk to you about an article I wrote that, being a parent, I think you would enjoy (on early childhood education). I'd love it if you could drop me an email quick so I can give you more details if you're interested or if you were interested in new content for your blog.

Emily

Kristine Watterson said...

Blackmail away, baby! I'm not scared of those pictures! (But, don't really because this is a solid bluff)

Anonymous said...

Sorry it's Emily again, my email address is epatterson@primroseschools.com