Additional Information

Thursday, July 21, 2011

HOA Ignorance

As summer was starting up around here, I thought it would be fun to take Ellie to the pool here. Unfortunately the HOA rules state that all children must be potty trained before entering the pool.  When I asked if an exception or a compromise could be made, I was told I would have to bring it up at the HOA meeting held monthly. So last month I attended the meeting. When I spoke with the presidency, I said I would like to spend time in the pool area with my daughter. Seeing as the current rules don't allow her to enter the pool, I wanted to know if something could be done; i.e allowing me to bring a kiddie pool into the pool area so she can enjoy the water or changing the rules to allow swim diaper. They told me it would need to be discussed.

 (P.S. my personal thoughts about what's going on are found in parenthesis.)

A month goes by and we hear nothing. The night before the July HOA meeting, Jake receives a message on his phone stating that our request to take a kiddie pool into the pool area was denied. So off I go again to the HOA meeting to ask if I will ever be allowed to take my daughter swimming.

I enter the clubhouse and say that we had received the denial information yesterday. Pres: "you didn't receive a letter?" Me: "No I didn't." Some guy: "Sorry, I forgot I had to inform you of our decision so I just called." My question is the current rules don't allow un-potty trained children into the pool. I would like to use the pool but can't because my child would want to enter the pool and besides me using the pool in front of her would be cruel. Would they be willing to make an exception if she were wearing swim diapers?

One lady asked what were swim diapers. (Seriously? What are swim diapers?) The maintenance guy told her they were diapers for young kids to use the pool. Public pools allow them, especially since there are swim classes for children as young as 1 year old. So the first lady says, well that makes sense. Swim diapers should be allowed in the pool then.

Me being stupid but since we already were yelled at by the previous HOA presidency because exact rules/procedure wasn't followed, I wanted to make sure I was covered so I asked, "Just to make sure, even though the rules state a child not potty trained can enter the pool, if she wears a swim diaper I can take her into the pool? You will allow the exception?"

"You mean she isn't potty trained. (Why else would she need a swim diaper?) Didn't you say she is almost 2 years old? Why isn't she potty trained yet?" (Are you kidding me? You don't have kids or grandkids do you?) "Well, we have denied other requests from other owners so it wouldn't be fair to grant you the exception,"

So I asked if they would consider amending the HOA rules to allow swim diapers on children not potty trained. Any bets on whether or not they get back to me in time to use the pool?

2 comments:

Nichols said...

I am sooooo sorry! That's re-donk-ulous!! You should then tell them since you cannot use the facilities, your HOA fees should be reduced! Good luck!

rozanny said...

Sounds like the HOA in our last place! They sent us a "warning" of a fine for playing music too loud... which in the end was not us but the guys doing construction in the next unit over (we moved in the week after the warning..hehehe) and our main door didn't work and I got sick of having to carry groceries and misc around the unit and into the front door... so we replaced the door... and we got a warning that our door wasn't the same color of ugly brown that the others were... NEWS FLASH! It hadn't been painted yet... the replacement door had been primed but we still needed to paint it. But their stupid "warnings" made us decide to move. We bought our own house where we didn't have to ask permission to replace our own door and could paint it whatever color we wanted.